Sunday, July 11, 2010

cooking light shrimp

Cooking Light Shrimp







  • I’ve never had Shrimp Newberg, so I would have no idea how it should taste. That’s pretty much how I cook. Find a recipe that sounds good, then take my chances. Keeps my life and cooking exciting. I have my share of failures, but this recipe is a success.
  • This lightened up version of Shrimp Newberg comes from Rachael Ray. I have to assume that a true Shrimp Newberg would be loaded with cream and lots of butter. I’m glad Rachael lightened it up for me.
  • What a terrific combination of bite-sized pieces of shrimp in a cream sherry sauce. Rachel’s recipe didn’t call for asparagus. I think my version is better. Gotta get those veggies in whenever I can. Besides asparagus is in season, and inexpensive. Don’t you think it adds wonderful color and crunch?
  • Don’t look too closely, I was out of brown rice, so I had to use white rice. Yikes! Time to stock the pantry again. I’m embarrassed to say, I enjoyed every bite. White rice is a treat in my house.Happy cooking!

Delightfully Light Shrimp Newberg


  • Serves 4
  • 2 cups rice, cooked
  • 3 tsp butter
  • 1 ⅓ cups fat free milk
  • 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined, then cut into thirds
  • 2 tsp cornstarch
  • 1 large shallot, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 2 cups asparagus, thin stalks cut into 2″ pieces
  • ¼ cup sherry
  • salt and pepper
  • Heat large saucepan over medium heat. Add butter, onion and asparagus. Saute for 5 – 10 minutes until asparagus is crisp tender.
  • Add flour to saucepan and cook another minute.
  • Combine milk and cornstarch. Whisk until smooth and add to saucepan.
  • Cook until slightly thickened, then add sherry and shrimp. Cook another 3 minutes until shrimp is no longer translucent. Salt and pepper to taste.
  • Serve with rice.

What’s good for me in this dish?

  • Shrimp is low in fat, and higher in cholesterol; however, studies show that it can raise HDL and triglyceride levels. It has B12 for hearth health, omega-3 fatty acids for anti-inflammatory effects, and antioxidants selenium, copper and zinc.
  • Asparagus tops the charts in vitamin K and folate. It’s also a good source of vitamins C and A. Folate is essential for a healthy cardiovascular system. Asparagus also contains potassium, making it a natural diuretic.

Amount Per Serving

  • Calories: 326
  • Total Fat: 4.53g
  • Cholesterol: 181mg
  • Sodium: 354mg
  • Total Carbs: 37.48g
  • Dietary Fiber: 2.31g
  • Sugars: 6.69g
  • Protein: 30.22g

No comments:

Post a Comment